Monday, October 29, 2012

Alpha Female

I stumbled upon a phrase I was not familiar with until yesterday morning at church.  And since then, the phrase has latched onto me...

"Alpha Female"

When I first heard it, my heart skipped a beat.  I felt liberated.

The Alpha Male, I've heard of.  The leader of the pack.  I've never heard of the Alpha FEMALE however.

The description and character traits I've run into (thanks to Google) are many I can relate with, but have felt ashamed or defective because of them.  Although not every single character trait fits, there are enough to say, "Yup, that's me alright." I've also been raised in a culture where women were seen as rude or bitchy if we were anything like an alpha female.  And I honestly don't blame those who consider us rude and bitchy, because we can too easily default into that when our alpha female isn't being reigned in by love and gentleness.  I wonder if that is something which must be passed onto through modeling seen in action by other alpha females.  When we aren't familiarized with respecting strong boundaries of those around us, especially authority figures, it's hard to come by doing that, given our nature of being alpha females.  That isn't an excuse for not doing it.  It's just a helpful explanation.

God made me this way.  He wired me like this, I am not defective.  I have a sinful nature though that wants to run the show, instead of surrendering to God and allowing Him to tame my alpha female.  Not shame; tame.  Big difference.

No wonder I tend to find myself drawn to other women like this.  Alpha females tend to need one another, we are one of a kind and need the support and camaraderie of other alpha females.  I'm on the lookout for these...they are an exquisite gift.