Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Coming Out of the Belief Closet

I'm coming out of the belief closet - here's the Gospel as I currently understand it, presented to you with a confession...

I wish I could say in clear conscience that I'm convinced that Jesus Christ is not the only path to God.  Does this offend you?  I apologize if it does. Initially, it offends me too.

I wish I could say that all faiths are created equal and have equal footing when it comes to God and all things spiritual, I really do.  I would feel much more warmly accepted, and my people-pleasing and approval-seeking cravings would be easily satisfied.  I'd be a much better liked person, based on my spiritual beliefs.  But I'd be lying out of fear and trying to control how others view me, I relapse to this sometimes often. I confess I've struggled with coming clean on this because of my approval-seeking-people-pleasing based ways of doing life feeling like I'm on a stage before judges, waiting to dock me points.

I am not a credentialed theological expert.  I do not have specialized training in the vast religions of the world.  So, decide for yourself what to accept or reject, but I'm starting to lay out my "belief cards" on the table in clear sight - no hidden secrets.  What really counts though is how I live my life, not how I articulate in words alone what I believe.  If you know me well, watch me live, whether I admit it or not, my beliefs become apparent in how I actually live my life.  Where is the path I'm on taking me?  Do my choices reflect the dogma my mind subscribes to?  All of our "beliefs" are on display, whether we articulate them verbally or not.  

The closer you are to someone, the more you'll know what they truly believe.

And one more thing - I'm not going to reference any Bible verses either, which might either irritate some and provide relief for others.  Oh well.

Here we go...

I believe it's much harder to reject God's salvation than it is to receive it, but rejecting it is possible.  

Breaking it down...

God as I understand him, has willingly and painstakingly done all that is possible on his end within the context of us having free-will, to draw us to him.  If it were not for him, we'd be without hope. Period.

God exists.  God is good.  God is love.  How can we know him?  We cannot know him outside of his own volition to reveal himself to us.  We depend on him revealing himself to us to know him.  He reveals himself to us at our level of consciousness and reasoning/understanding, as human beings.  He did this through becoming one himself, that's who Jesus Christ was - the exact image of God in flesh and blood.  Fully human, fully God-divine.  Jesus was God in disguise, as a Jewish carpenter who was also a Rabbi.

I've often wondered - "Why can't I just pick and choose a religion or elements of religions that seem like a good fit for me to believe in, and be good with God?  All religions seem similar anyway, it's not fair."

Well, that's one way I've looked at it.  But here's another I'll submit to you...

Why would God choose to become a human being in such a vulnerable level (as a fetus, conceived in a poor unwed peasant Jewish girls' womb) to reveal himself to mankind, to be then killed and publicly ridiculed if that wasn't necessary?  Did God make a terrible and miscalculated mistake in becoming a human being and getting crucified on the cross to make a way for us to return to him when it wasn't even needed?  Does he over-dramatize the whole sin and salvation gig?  Can't we have other ways to get back to him, really...He didn't need to go all out to bring us back.  Or did he?

I project myself onto others, often.  This doesn't exclude how I perceive God and his intentions.  When I find myself feeling offended by the claim that Jesus is the only way back to God, when I do some soul searching I often find self-projections behind my being offended.

Before humans existed, God didn't need humans to be OK with himself.  He desired them.  He chose to create them, in His own likeness out of a desire from an abundance of love for himself, not out of an emotional, physical, spiritual or psychological need to survive.  We, humans do that stuff when God's love isn't our source of life, which is the baseline due to sin (but not the final one).  God doesn't do this, if he did, he'd be disowning his very self, for he is love.  We are created in his likeness in that God is love, and we were created for perfect love.  He doesn't have this twisted and codependent need to feel needed, mistaking that as love.  Humans do that.  We have this love thing all messed up.

Receiving God's love, which is given out of his free choice and not out of his unmet dependency needs feeding off our need to need him, are we then able to love others, ourselves included.

We were created for perfect unity and unbroken intimacy with God.  We had that, once upon a time in real-life-history and it's still in our DNA.  We, as a human race choose to bypass getting our needs met by God and have as a result, evolved into trying to experience unbroken intimacy with God through anything or anyone BUT God.  Physically, psychologically, emotionally and spiritually - we still experience the evolution of bypassing God's provision of himself, to meet our needs, to this day.  And the results linger, from one generation to the next.

He has made a way back to himself though.  Back to our true and authentic self, that has unbroken intimacy with him.  That is what Jesus accomplished on the cross.  He made the way for us to come back to him.  He paved a way back for us to trust him, by doing what only He could to do prove such trustworthiness - by dying for us, in our place, and freeing us while He paid for our mistrust of him.  That is my current understanding of what sin essentially is, sin isn't us committing an act that's "bad" or "dirty" it's not us "misbehaving with God".

Sin is the fruit or byproduct of shame (self-hatred/disgust), which is coupled with distrusting God (our Creator from whom breathed life (spirit) into our physical bodies) operating through a faith that sees God as not for us, which leads to us being separated from him.  In Jesus, he proved his love to us on the cross by his action of freely laying down his life for us, which was only made possible through the will of humans beings carried out in their rejection of him, which is the very sin that created the opportunity to bring us back to him.  If Jesus wasn't being rejected and distrusted through humans invalidation of him and his identity, he wouldn't have had to opportunity to die for us.  But he used the very subtle transaction that separates us (distrusting him or sinning by invalidating his trustworthiness) to be what brings us back to him.

God used the final act of the religious leaders' invalidation of Jesus (crucifying him on the cross for identifying himself as God) to be the very act that validates us before our accusing enemy, Satan.

That is love.  That is God.  

Satan rightly accuses us of distrusting God (what the Bible calls sin),
Jesus validates both Satan's accusations of our sin and our incredible worth, at the same time by one act - being crucified.
And we who receive this through trusting Him, are set free....

He demonstrated his love for us by making a way for us to return to him and to our originally created spiritual place of perfect unity with him, through trusting him.  He did this through Jesus Christ, who broke through the barriers of our rejecting and being offended by him by our insistence to get our needs for love met outside of him, because we didn't trust him.

Jesus can appear offensive, because he loves as God loves.  Love isn't apathetic or indifferent, on the contrary, love expresses itself through action, which can be interpreted as offensive when not receiving it as such. We have fallen from God, and since God is love we've strayed far from knowing what love truly is, that when we see it, we are offended by it.

Freedom is what we've been given.  Free freedom, and we are easily offended by it because we want to earn it ourselves.  We pride ourselves in being self-sufficient and prefer to choose how that self-sufficiency looks when we choose our own path back to God, while being offended by his providing that path to us instead.  Now - who is the one playing out the unnecessary over-dramatized salvation gig?  Who is the one being stubbornly bias, out of offense?

In my own words and understanding, the gospel message is simply this:

God has made a way for mankind to return to Him, and to our authentic selves that has always been created for intimate fellowship with him, poured out to ourselves and one another.  The path he provided was through himself.  The cross-section of God and mankind is Jesus, doing what He did on the cross - dying as a condemned sinner in our place.  He came down to us, because we could not return back to him by our own merits or efforts.  We are completely dependent on him for our return.  Jesus' sacrifice provided the way back to God, once and for all.

All other ways, including religions that talk up a good way back to God by only doing or intellectually subscribing to certain doctrines or beliefs is another way of trying to earn our way back to God, apart from his provision.  Many other religions, including the vast array that stem from Christianity that depend on our own efforts to bring us back may or may not have valid moral principles for daily living.  They acknowledge God.  They acknowledge morals.  They acknowledge many truths God does, but the distinct difference exists in the means back to God by being outside of himself, which is who Jesus Christ is.  He is God incarnate, because there was no other way.  He had to take that act upon himself, and he did.  Through becoming a human being, he was God made flesh.  The divine intersection occurred in Jesus, who gave himself fully to bring us back to him and our true selves as he created us to be.  His provision: Jesus Christ.  Thankfully we do have an option, our part is in responding with willingness.  How are you willing to respond to the path God has laid out to you through Jesus Christ?  The choice is yours, to take it or leave it.

Confession: the church is made up of wounded people - sinners actually, and just like what goes on outside of the church; wounded people will wound other people.  When I'm least aware of my wounds, that's when I'm at a higher risk of wounding others.  I am sorry, I am not an exception.  Do not throw the baby out with the bath water though.  I have been so close to doing that myself, in many ways on many levels.  You decide, that's what you've been given - free will.  Use it wisely, use it to receive this love yourself, not to take offense.  I can choose my offenses, but my offenses don't blindly choose me and I don't have to remain blind to the source of my offenses.

Now, if Jesus Christ were not known at a cognitive level of consciousness - would that soul be rejected by God?  I have reason to believe the answer is no.  I believe there are those who have a cognitive level of knowing Jesus, and it's limited to just that.

Beliefs don't save us, they steer us.

Actions speak louder than words when it comes to revealing what one truly believes, beyond talking about what they believe.  No shame in what one believes, it is what it is.  Judgment isn't at all beneficial for me to pass on.  Self-awareness surrounding my own beliefs is critical for my own well being.  I am becoming more convinced there are souls who cognitively/intellectually may not know Jesus, but know him on a spiritual and heart-to-heart level, that have a valid relationship with him.  That said, there are indispensable advantages while living on earth, in knowing the more complete picture of God, which is revealed unhidden in Jesus Christ.  I have a very hard time accepting the belief that God would reject them based on cognitive acknowledgment, and my understanding of the Jesus from the Bible and my own personal experience with him seems to support this.

What an opportunity we have - that is if you're not dead yet.  What are you waiting for?

Peace.