Sunday, March 3, 2013

Primum Non Nocere - (First, Do No Harm)


"Can a blind man lead a blind man?  Will they not both fall into a pit?  A student is not above his teacher, but everyone who is fully trained will be like his teacher.  
Why do you look at the speck of sawdust in your brother's eye and pay no attention to the plank in your own eye?  How can you say to your brother, 'Brother, let me take the speck out of your eye,' when you yourself fail to see the plank in your own eye?  You hypocrite, first take the plank out of your eye, and then you will see clearly to remove the speck from your brother's eye."  
- Luke 6:39-42

The clearer I can see my own condition (spiritual, emotional, psychological etc.) I'll be of greater service to others.  As I accept what I see in myself, with the necessary help of others who are further along in their vision correcting process, I'll be able to see those around me more clearly, and be more inclined to do them no harm, due to my ignored blind spots.

In practicing self-examination through gaining self-awareness, I am to come first, not last.  I will be dangerous to others if I start correcting their vision, without first going about the task of correcting mine.

To the degree I'm blind or vision-impaired in seeing my own condition as is, I will cause harm and mislead others.  In my attempts to influence others (albeit well-intentioned) without first taking care of my own business of self-examination, we'll both fall into a pit, unless another intervenes, and of course if I accept it.

Why is self-examination important?  -Because it directly affects a vital function I depend on while making decisions: my vision - which steers my ability to discern.

If I can't see clearly, and even worse, if I remain in denial about it, I'll believe that what I'm seeing is the truth, when it's not.  Neglecting self-examination is unsafe, to myself and others.  I will hurt people without knowing how I've hurt them or even believing I've hurt them at all.  The chances of me taking the opportunity to repent or "turn" increases by me having clear vision (discernment).  By the way, I believe discernment within the context of self-examination is an equal-opportunity provision, it doesn't discriminate on anything other than willingness.

I wear prescription eye-glasses that are just right for me, currently.  My prescription changes over time, along with my vision changing over time.  If I were to remove my eye-glasses, with the awareness that what I'm seeing is the result of my impaired vision, I will be extra careful and ask for help.  It would be dangerous for me to lead someone down a rocky path without my eye-glasses on, and I'd know that.

If however, I removed my eye-glasses and was convinced that everything I saw was exactly how it really is -watch out.  Let's hope I wouldn't become a licensed bus driver or a child care provider.  I'd likely become irritated with everything I'm seeing because it appears fuzzy and blurry to me.  I would likely find fault in what I'm seeing and not in my impaired vision.

If I feel called to come alongside another and help improve or enhance their vision, I'd better make sure my vision is clear enough first.  For to the degree my vision is clear and unimpaired; I'll be able to assist another with their vision.  If not, it is the blind leading the blind.  Will they not both fall into a pit?

How well am I doing this within my various roles; as a parent, a spouse, a friend, a sister, an aunt, etc.?  I'm open to doing it not only for my own sake, but for the sake of the lives I play a role of influence in.  I shall take care to practice self-examination in the things I'm trying to help others see for themselves.  Am I continuously checking my own vision in regards to what issues God brings before me?  This will include being aware of areas in my life where I need to be giving myself more grace and compassion in.  What good is it, for me or others, if I'm constantly shaming myself, mistaking that as "self-examination"?

In seeing the value of self-examination, will I then go about doing it alone?  It sure is tempting, but depending only on my vision and judgment to bring clarity to my vision and judgment is a recipe for remaining stuck.

Although the term "self-examination" is used, it's impossible to do it alone.  The fact remains: the reason we practice self-examination in the first place is because we've accepted the present reality of our dual-condition in Christ - broken yet progressively healing.  Is it wise or realistic for a broken person to expect themselves to heal and mend in isolation?  As I see it from my own personal experience, it simply doesn't work that way, and God doesn't call us to live that way.

"As iron sharpens iron,
so one person sharpens another."
- Proverbs 27:17


"Two are better than one,
because they have a good return for their labor:
If either of them falls down,
one can help the other up.
But pity anyone who falls
and has no one to help them up.
Also, if two lie down together, they will keep warm.
But how can one keep warm alone?
Though one may be overpowered, 
two can defend themselves.
A cord of three strands is not quickly broken."
- Ecclesiastes 4:9-12


In realizing the realm of influence I hold in another person's life (child, teen or adult), even especially in my role as a parent, the practice of self-examination, or absence of it, will have an impact on others.  Self-examination is consistent with both Jesus' call to love others as myself, and the primum non nocere adhered to in medical ethics.