Thursday, June 6, 2013

"Fear" Being Called Out

"Let your gentleness be evident to all.  The Lord is near."
-Philippians 4:5

Up until today, I thought this verse was more of a warning or a threat.  That is how I perceived it.  "God's near - so watch out, and BEHAVE yourself!"

Now, after recent events in my own life, I'm extracting a different interpretation.  Paul's not reminding the reader that the Lord is near to warn or threaten them.  He's not trying to intimidate people to produce behavior modification.  That never works, for very long.

Being reminded of God's nearness when I'm NOT inclined towards gentleness, but rather harsh and unruly interactions with others, provides me with consolation and solace.  It reminds me of God's true character and identity.  God is love. (1 John 4:16)  Love doesn't use fear of punishment to get us to behave a certain way.  There is no fear in love.  Let me repeat: There is no fear in love.
In fact - Perfect love drives out fear, because fear has to do with punishment.  The one who fears is not made perfect in love. 

I can't take credit for such a beautifully freeing statement.  I copied it, word for word, from the New Testament, found in 1 John 4:18.


God is for me, not against me.
God is not passive.
God is not apathetic.
God is not a coward, He doesn't depend of putting fear into people, to draw them near.  He drives OUT fear in people, so they may be perfected in Him - Who is Love Himself.  

Contrary to many of our sayings that take God's name in vain, or misrepresents His nature, like "putting the fear of God in them" to get people to behave a certain way - is NOT how God operates.  Why should I try and resort to using this fear-based method when trying to "discipline" my children?  Trying to get my children (who are way smaller, weaker, younger and more vulnerable) to fear me in order to get them to behave the way I want is not godly.  It's not how God operates with me, yet it's what I default to when I'm trying to control others or outcomes.

Fear of punishment is effective for behavior modification, with trust and vulnerability within a connected relationship being sacrificed at the Behavior Alter.  Fear of punishment (not consequences), but rather punishment that is penal or retributive and not rehabilitative, isn't how I see God raising me.  Fear of punishment is effective for getting citizens to follow the laws.  The government does not need to have a connected relationship to the citizens in order to function.  What the government does need in order to function is to have its own citizens have connected relationships with its own citizens.

Fear works very well in some instances.  Fear sells.  Fear gets results.  Fear makes a great tool for producing a certain behavior - devoid of a loving relationship.  But perfect love drives out fear, it doesn't feed on it.

God isn't primarily concerned about me producing or reducing certain behaviors - at the cost of a loving and intimate relationship.  He is for an intimately loving relationship with me, that drives OUT fear of punishment - for this is what transforms me, and produces the kinds of behavior that bring about enjoyment, without fear.

God doesn't make fear of punishment deposits in my life to win me over.  He make love deposits, and it's His perfect love that drives OUT fear, because a high fear factor doesn't produces perfect love - it hinders it, per God.