Monday, October 15, 2012

Labels

I've identified myself as a recovering love addict, Pharisee and Codependent, but let me be very clear on something:

Addiction or behavioral labels are not my core identity.  They do not represent my authentic-self, they represent my wounded self and how that's played out in my life.

In other words:

I identify myself using these labels because I can identify with how my brokenness and its resulting vulnerabilities have manifested within the patterns found under these labels, not all of them, but a significant amount.  They do not make up who I am, or reflect/represent my core identity.

They represent significant behavioral patterns I have a propensity for defaulting to as a result of my brokenness, living in a broken world.

My authentic-self has been redeemed by Jesus Christ, and is currently in the process of being revealed, to myself and my community.  That is the process of recovery, that is my experience with discipleship right now.

As I'm introduced to my authentic-self, I am showcasing who God created me to be, not who I or others try to create me to be.  Big difference.

My false-self is confronted with truth and grace.  The false-self is learning, one day at a time, that it is no longer needed.

And when this is taking place, I reflect more of Jesus, who was the perfect reflection of the Father.  This is a mighty call, and with man this is impossible.  But with God, all things are possible, even this.

To His glory.