Sunday, October 20, 2013

The Cross: Love > Control

Who is this God of my understanding?
He is all-powerful and sovereign, yet is trustworthy with how He uses His power and sovereignty...how so? By not operating out of any fear-based need to control everyone and everything, in order to arrive at the outcomes He desires.  He does not exchange love for control.  God's ability to do this is rooted in His power to love, not in His power to control.  

"There is no fear in love.  But perfect love drives out fear, because fear has to do with punishment.  The one who fears is not made perfect in love."  - 1 John 4:18

Love is powerful.  
That is something which is taken for granted because of my distorted assumptions of love and power, and me just beginning to question these assumptions with God and others I trust.  I confuse receiving love with earning and receiving rewards, and power with wielding control. 

When I fear punishment, it's because I fear suffering, and who doesn't?  Punishment isn't punishment, unless there is suffering involved.  If I deny my fear of suffering, I do so out of shame or pride, which leads to hiding, as denial (hiding) is bonded to shame.  I do not want to suffer, because I fear I do not have what it takes to endure it, for suffering renders me vulnerable and dependent.  That is a valid fear.  If none of these elements were present when suffering takes place, I would not fear suffering and I would not fear punishment.  

So, the question which will lead me out of this prison of fear is not a question that's based on the validity of my fear, for it is valid fear.  The question which will lead me towards freedom is: what will drive out this valid fear of punishment, that involves suffering?  The surfacing answer: receiving valid love.  Being validly or perfectly loved results in me not having a fear-based compulsion to control others, in order to get what I need, which is ultimately love.  This doesn't mean that when things do not go the way I desire, that I'm not grieved over it, or that God isn't for that matter, for I can still feel emotions without meaning I'm driven by fear, and I submit to you God is not different in this respect, He's not made stoic because He isn't driven by fear.  In fact, when I am being driven by fear, I usually will not feel my feelings, especially grief.  So, when I do suffer and grieve, I can suffer and grieve knowing that I can endure, because of the power that comes from receiving perfect love, not perfect control.

Love drives out fear, not control.

It takes a supernatural power to becoming willing to choose to relinquish control over every person, place and thing, and I believe this is what God did in creation and in creating humans to be made in His image and likeness.

Love involves taking risks.  Making choices which involve taking high risks happens when it's been determined that the desired goal can only happen if the high risk (to relinquish control of the things beyond God's own personal will) is taken.  The risk is taken when the desired goal outweighs any desire to control to gain security/certainty.  When the risk is not taken, there is a 100% chance that the desired outcome will not be realized.  God took this risk when He created humanity with free will.  He has chosen to honor this boundary, though doing so has also caused Him to feel deep grief and pain.  This is a love that involves taking high risks, but the desired possible outcome, which is humanity having the possibility to accept Him and choose to trust Him in return, is worth it to God.  

The cross is God's solution to our problem of being powerless to be both perfectly liable and faithful in making amends for our sins.  The cross is how God demonstrates His use of power; which is foolishness to those who are convinced that using power over others to get what you want depends on using control over others.

God's power and sovereignty does not equal control.
Love is the most powerful resource in the world, which drives out fear and its need to use control to perfect it.

As I proceed on my journey of solidifying my understanding of God to be a little more concrete, yet not rigid, but fluid, yet unique and distinguishable, I've noticed the pattern of cyclical disorganization before reorganization.

My understanding of, and relationship with God bends but doesn't break, whereas religion, to my understanding, doesn't bend, but easily breaks.  As always, take what you want and leave the rest.


Peace.