Tuesday, November 26, 2013

Judgement Disorder

When I confuse my identity and role with God's regarding judgment, I suffer from judgement disorder.  The primary symptoms I've noticed from this pervasive and insidious disorder are shame and/or pride, along with fear of doing life without operating from this familiar disorder.  Most of my life as I've known it, has been lived in submission to this disorder.  Living with its symptoms is all too normal.

The root of this disorder is based in believing a seemingly insignificant and harmless lie.  Why else would I not want to run like hell away from the root cause of this disorder?

The lie:  I am no different than God as far as knowing what I need to know to judge like God.

When the resulting symptoms of shame/pride (two sides of the same coin) along with fear are since accepted because they are so damn familiar, I settle myself short, without ever knowing it.  Any hope of healing from this judgment disorder and its nasty symptoms of shame/pride and fear will remain out of reach.

To believe that I am like God when it comes to judgment, is how all sin is perpetuated, which usually gives way to more judgment of myself and from/towards others, which gives way to more sin.....the crafty serpent's little lie was that we could be like God, knowing good and evil (judgment) if only....I eat from the proverbial fruit from the tree of the knowledge of good and evil  (judgment).

"God knows that if you eat the fruit from that tree, you will learn about good and evil and you will be like God!"  - Genesis 3:5


The truth:  I am in God's likeness because I am human.  Period.  When I feel tempted to judge (others or myself) because I believe I am defective as is, I am believing a lie.

"So God created human beings in his image.  In the image of God he created them.  He created them male and female."  - Genesis 1:27


Judging as if I am God isn't needed to make me feel better about myself.  In fact, it is poisonous and strictly prohibited by God.

The remedy for judgment disorder:  Showing mercy to the one(s) I judged, including myself.


"Those who have not shown mercy will not receive mercy when they are judged.  To show mercy is better than to judge."   - James 2:13


"God is the only Lawmaker and Judge.  He is the only One who can save and destroy.  So it is not right for you to judge your neighbor."  - James 4:12


"Don't judge others, or you will be judged.  You will be judged in the same way that you judge others, and the amount you give to others will be given you."  - Matthew 7:1-2



The vision of my own spiritual life's direction involves recovery from judging myself and others as if I am God, one day at a time.