Wednesday, November 14, 2012

"My Head Is My 'Hood" - A Parable

The place I hang around most is inside of my head.  That's my 'hood.
What kind of hood is that exactly?  Well, I've come to terms with the realization that it's been more of a ghetto than a Mr. Roger's type of neighborhood - not exactly the safest place to hang out alone in after dark.
There are gangsters and thieves hiding in many corners.
Gangsters that target me if they think I'm disrespecting their turf or if I don't think like one of them.
Thieves are after my peace and are lurking in dark corners.
Drug dealers that offer me quick and easy solutions to my worries, for only a "small" fee.

How do I survive in my hood?

First of all, I'm learning it indeed hasn't been the safest place to hang out alone in after dark, even though I have been for much of my life.  I now take a friend or two in with me.  I have learned to surrender pride, which in turn disenfranchises shame. We carry flashlights and have each other's backs.  Sometimes I go into other friend's hoods after dark, so we both know the feeling of having a "hood inspector" present.  It brings relief, even though it feels unfamiliar in the beginning.  Good inspection provides good protection.  It's not about shaming.  Shame is left on the curb, and if it approaches, to the curb it shall return.

Often I'm so used to the subtle dangers in my hood that I don't even detect them, to my eyes they look so familiar and are well camouflaged.  But not to my friends.  They usually will pick up on something "fishy" after awhile.  Sometimes they'll detect something right away that I've been desensitized to or have minimized.  She'll ask me for honest answers to sometimes tough questions like: "What's this doing here?  Why is it here?  How long has it been here?  What purpose does it serve?  What is the role it plays in your hood?  Is having this in your hood a peacemaker, or a troublemaker?

I'm in the process of a neighborhood revitalization project where I invite others into my hood.  I ask them to tell me what kinds of potential they see with a certain block or section of my hood.  Should something be demolished, remodeled or further invested in?  Should certain residents be welcomed or removed?  How will something effect the neighboring hoods close by?

This is me approaching recovery and discipleship from yet another angle.

And no - I am not schizophrenic in case you wondered, at least not according to the DSM-IV ;)
I just have my own way of casting light onto matters and throwing em out there, in my own unique (sometimes odd) style.  - Take it or leave it -